Affiliate Disclosure: This content contains affiliate links. If you purchase the products through our affiliate link, we will receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
What is evergreen content? If you’re an experienced digital marketer, you’ll know evergreen content and its importance. However, if you’re new to digital marketing, you’ll probably be wondering what’s evergreen content and its significance. If so, this blog can clear your doubts as I have explained evergreen content in detail. Let’s get started!
Table of Contents:
- What Is Evergreen Content?
- Examples of Evergreen Content (Evergreen Content Ideas)
- What Are Top Evergreen Niches?
- Tips for Creating Evergreen Content
What Is Evergreen Content?
Evergreen content is ever-lasting content that remains relevant and accurate over a long period. Evergreen content is usually optimized for search engines. Unlike seasonal content, organic traffic to evergreen content will remain constant over a long period. People will read and share them for months, years, or even decades. Also, evergreen content can get a lot of backlinks from other websites. Since evergreen content remains relevant for a long period, you don’t have to update it frequently to get constant traffic. This saves you precious time, energy, and money.
Below, I have listed some of the popular forms of evergreen content.
- Evergreen product reviews
- Case studies
- Evergreen video content. For example, driving instruction video
- Buyers guides
If you choose an evergreen topic and produce content in the formats mentioned above, there’s a higher chance for your content to be relevant over a long time. If a topic sees a decline in interest after a short timeframe, it can’t be considered evergreen.
Here are some examples.
- Frequently updated statistics. For example, the number of social media users
- Fashion, lifestyle, and clothing trends
- Holiday and seasonal information
- Controversial topics
Examples of Evergreen Content (Evergreen Content Ideas)
Below, I have listed some examples to give you an idea about what is evergreen content.
- A guide to losing weight – No one likes to be fat. So, if you publish a high-quality guide about losing weight, you can expect a good amount of consistent traffic from it.
- How to fry an egg? – If you know how to fry an egg, it’s pretty easy. But, if you’re trying it for the first time, you’ll need some help to do so. The help can be in the form of web content. Most of the cooking niche content never gets old. If you’re in the cooking niche, make use of this opportunity.
- How to start a business? – If you publish a detailed guide about starting a business, there’s a good chance for it to receive constant traffic over a long period.
- How to set up a Facebook business page? – If you operate in the digital marketing niche, you can create content on various evergreen topics. A guide to setting up a Facebook business page is an example.
- How to create a blogging website? – Content marketing is a fantastic way to promote products. A blog is one of the best forms of content. So, a guide about creating a blogging website can receive consistent traffic.
Speaking of websites, the following are some of them that contain several evergreen contents.
What Are Top Evergreen Niches?
There are many niches out there. But, some are more evergreen than others. For instance, if you start a blog on the camping niche, you won’t get traffic to it consistently as people perform outdoor activities mostly during summer. On the other hand, the food niche is evergreen as people search for it throughout the year. Below, I have made a list of some of the evergreen niches.
Note: If your website doesn’t fall into any of the niches mentioned below, it doesn’t mean you can’t create evergreen content. Unless your niche is too seasonal, there will exist some evergreen topics that you can find and write about.
If you have an interest in cooking, you can consider starting a food-related website. You can publish blogs about how to prepare delicious foods, recipes, food reviews, etc. Since the concept of cooking and food ideas doesn’t keep changing, you don’t have to update your content frequently to get evergreen traffic.
If you’re highly knowledgeable in a specific area, you can start an educational website in it. Education is one of the niches where you can post high-quality content and expect steady traffic to it over a long period. But, since frequent updates occur in the education niche, you should ensure that your content stays up-to-date.
Health is an evergreen niche. Since many people face health concerns, there’s a good chance for your health website to be successful if you publish quality content. Also, since health topics don’t need frequent updates, you can publish content and forget about it.
If you’re interested in tech, you can consider starting a website in that niche. However, since there’s high competition in the technology niche, you should make your content exceptional. There are various sub-niches in technology, such as computers, laptops, watches, etc. You can pick one depending on your interest. Speaking of the content, you can publish tips, tutorials, tricks, etc.
5. Personality Development
Everyone wants to develop their skills. So, there’s a good evergreen demand for personality development content. Under personality development, there are various sub-topics like motivation, career development, leadership development, life coaching, etc. You can choose a category depending on your expertise and publish content.
Tips for Creating Evergreen Content
Having seen what evergreen content is, let’s now see the tips for creating evergreen content.
1. Choose the Correct Topic
As discussed previously, if you want evergreen traffic to your content, you should choose topics with a consistent interest level. You can use tools like Google Trends to analyze people’s interests in a topic. Also, SEO tools like SEMRush can help in analyzing the interest. For instance, let’s see the interest that people have in the topic “digital marketing”.
As you can see, the interest graph remains pretty consistent. So, creating good content like a digital marketing guide can generate potential traffic for years to come.
2. Use the Right Keywords
Once you choose the topic for your content, you should perform keyword research to find keywords to add to your content. Keyword research refers to finding the phrases users will use in the search engine. Once you find the phrases, you can include them in your content to improve your ranking in the search results. By adding the right set of keywords to your content, users can find your blog.
Performing keyword research is pretty simple. Here’s how to do so.
- Use an SEO tool like SEMRush.
- Say that, for example, you’re going to write a digital marketing guide. In this case, you can enter the phrase “digital marketing” in the tool to get keyword ideas.
- Analyze the metrics. Generally speaking, you can opt for a keyword with a decent search volume and low search difficulty. Also, since SEMRush displays the trend for a keyword, keep an eye on it to get an idea about the keyword interest over some time.
- Choose the best keyword as the focus keyword. You should add the focus keyword in various places of your blog, such as title, sub-headings, URL, introduction, etc.
3. Optimize Your Content for SEO
If you want consistent traffic to your content, it must rank higher in the search results. To rank your content higher in the search results, you should optimize it for SEO. Many factors influence SEO. Below, I have listed them.
On-page SEO refers to optimizing the content within the page to make it rank better on the search results.
The following are the tips to improve your website’s on-page SEO.
- Write high-quality content.
- Optimize the title tag. A title tag is the blue clickable link that appears in the search results. It plays a significant role in making people click on your content.
- Optimize the header tags (H1 to H6). The header tags are the headings you add inside the content.
- Optimize the URL by making it short and descriptive.
- Optimize the images by compressing them using tools like TinyPNG before uploading them to your website.
- Optimize your internal linking strategy. Adding internal links to your content can help in improving your site structure. Also, it can help increase the traffic to your other content.
Off-page SEO refers to any action you take outside your website or content to improve your content’s ranking in the search results. Building backlinks is the primary off-page SEO factor.
You can use the following tips to build backlinks to your content.
- Write high-quality content. If you want someone to refer to your content, you should ensure it’s of great quality.
- Replicate the link-building strategy of your competitors. There’s a high chance for websites that provide backlinks to your competitors to provide a backlink to you. You can use SEO tools like Ahrefs or SEMRush to execute this strategy.
- Use the broken link-building method. In broken link building, you find broken links on the websites from where you want to get the backlink. Next, you reach out to the website owner with your content to replace the broken link.
- Use the email outreach strategy. In the email outreach strategy, you reach out to website owners through email and ask them to provide a backlink to your blog. When approaching them, you should mention how mentioning your blog will benefit their audience.
- Write guest posts. As the name suggests, guest posting refers to writing and publishing content on another person’s website. Many websites allow guest writers to publish content. You can approach them and ask for a guest posting opportunity.
Technical SEO refers to optimizing the technical elements of your website to improve your content’s ranking in the search results.
The following are the tips to improve your website’s technical SEO.
- Create an XML sitemap and submit it to Google. A sitemap contains a list of a website’s pages to help Google crawl and index the content.
- Improve the mobile-friendliness of your website. You can check the mobile-friendliness of your website using Google’s Mobile-Friendly Test tool.
- Improve your site structure. A website will contain a lot of content. Site structure means organizing the content correctly to make it easy for Google to crawl and index.
- Improve the loading speed of your website. You can use the Google Page Speed Insights tool to check your website’s loading speed.
- Add an SSL certificate to improve the security of your website.
- Delete duplicate content as Google ranks unique content higher in the search results.
- Add structured data (schema markup). It’s a code to help search engines understand your content better and show more relevant results to users in the search results.
- Fix broken links on your website. Though it’s not entirely possible to avoid broken links, fix them as much as possible as they can negatively impact the user experience.
Though some of the above tips apply to your entire website, you should implement them to make your evergreen content rank higher on the search results.
4. Update Your Content When Needed
You don’t need to update evergreen content frequently. But, that doesn’t mean you can create content and forget about it. If any of the topics in your evergreen content is no longer relevant, you need to update it. For instance, if you add statistics, you should update it as it keeps changing over some time. You should also keep an eye on the internal and external links you add to your content. Sometimes, a link might be broken, which you have to fix. Moreover, according to SEO experts, updating content can improve its rankings in search results.
5. Write in Easy Words
As an expert in your niche, you want to share a lot of information with your readers. But share them in a language that everyone can understand. Avoid using technical words as beginners can’t understand them. Writing for everyone is one of the primary requirements for evergreen content. If you write only for experts, it’s not possible to get a good amount of traffic to your content consistently.
6. Bonus Tip: Promote Your Content
When you publish evergreen content, you’ll want people to check it out.
Here are some tips you can use to promote your content and increase its traffic.
1. Email Marketing
In email marketing, you promote your blogs through email to your subscribers. It’s an effective strategy and can significantly increase the traffic to your blog, provided you have a good number of subscribers on your email list. You can create a lead magnet like ebooks, tutorials, etc., and promote it to your audience to make them subscribe to your email list. Once they become your subscribers, you can send them beneficial emails at regular intervals. If your blog is relevant to the topic of the email, you can add a link to it as an additional resource.
2. Social Media
According to Hootsuite’s report, there are about 4.65 billion social media users. They say that this figure amounts to about 58.7% of the global population, which is mind-boggling.
You can achieve great results by using the right strategies to promote your blog on social media. However, if your social media page is new, you should first focus on building your audience base to attract more traffic to your content. Publishing consistent, high-quality posts in your niche can increase your followers and their engagement with your posts.
3. Paid Advertising
Though social media is a great, cost-effective way to promote your blogs, it takes time to build a strong social media profile —especially if you’re new. In this case, you can consider running advertisements to promote your blog. You can run ads on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter to promote your blogs. Besides social media ads, you can also consider running Pay-Per-Click (PPC) ads on networks like Google, Microsoft, etc., to promote your blog.
Regardless of the platform where you advertise, ensure to use the right strategies to get the best results.
There are many forums out there. You can select a forum discussion relevant to your blog and write a detailed answer. In the answer, you can add a link to your content. As forums aren’t meant for promotional purposes, you can’t expect a great amount of traffic to your blog from your forum discussion.
Writing evergreen content can help you get traffic to it over a long period. Writing evergreen content can take some time and effort. But it’s worth it. When writing evergreen content, you should choose the right topic and keyword. Once you publish the content, you should monitor its performance and update it when needed. Also, promote the evergreen content using the strategies discussed in the blog to increase its traffic.